Thursday, May 24, 2018

It’s Not Me…Really



When we write it inevitable that we put some of ourselves in each piece we do.  It doesn’t matter if it’s a short story, novel or screenplay. We, as writers are going to find ourselves in it.  Or more accurately, our readers who know us are going to find us.

Write a most despicable protagonist who kicks small animals, talks bad to his mother, talks with his mouth full, never lets someone else get a word into the conversation, or does that “other thing” that drives you crazy.  He is perfect for the piece you are working on.  You’re lucky enough to get it published and a friend reads it. What are they going to say?  Great story/novel/screenplay?  One of your best works?  You wish.

No.  What they are going to say is, “I totally saw you doing/saying that thing your protagonist did on page 97.”  You don’t do all those things I described, do you?  Probably not, but what if one time you tripped over your dog and said something like, “you little ()*%**), I wish I had kicked you out the door.”  You didn’t mean it (probably) and the person who heard you knew you were joking, but when they read your piece…there it was and it was you.

Writing teachers talk about giving your character “voice.”  At first, I thought they were talking about a deep voice, a high-pitched voice or something like that, but noooo, it’s not that easy.  Your character has to have a particular voice pattern.  Where does it come from?  Your friends? Deep inside that cavern of a brain where you hear voices all the time? I’ll bet a lot of it comes from you.

I have two mystery series in print.  One takes place in Atlanta, GA in the early 1950’s and the other is contemporary and set is the Seattle, WA area.  I have lived in both and know that people talk differently in each place.  I also know I picked up some of the voice patters from both and use them in my daily speech and, ….spoiler here….I use it in my writing.

My character in Atlanta uses terminology I have heard most of my life.  He drops a lot of “g”s on words.  He says, “Mornin’ Darlin’”, would rather eat a bug than call that thing he drinks a “soda.”  If it come out of a bottle, it’s a Coke.  If he’s formal, it’s a ‘co cola.  I have done and said the same thing.

In the other series, the protagonist drinks “soda’s” or a “pop.”  He dips his French fries in tartar sauce and knows what the waitress is talking about when she asks if he want “jo-jo’”s’ with his meal. He speaks to enough Canadian’s to know they end a lot of sentences with “ai”.

I have lived in both areas and many others during my years in the Army, so I use a lot of the things I have heard and experienced in my writing.  It natural to do it and it’s okay.

The good thing is when your reader recognizes something, you know they read the book and they were listening/watching when you did it.

https://www.paulsinorbooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

2019 Telly Award Winner

Feature films have the Oscar.  Television has the Emmy.   Films straight to DVD have the Telly. This is the 2019 People’s Choice Award ...