Thursday, April 19, 2018

Keep those cards and letters coming.


 I’ve been writing this blog for several months now and if my math is right, and it usually isn’t, if you divide 25 by 4 which is the number of this blog, divided by the number of weeks in a month except for those that have 5 Thursdays, you get a total of some number.  But that’s not the point of this week’s blog.  What is it, you ask?  It’s time to answer some of the many questions I have received from my faithful, curious and sometimes hostile readers.  I may even take a question from the audience if you raise your hand.

The most asked question is: Who do you think you are to be giving advice?  Hell of a good question and I have an answer.  Like most people who claim to be, are, or want to be writers, I think I have something to say and for that reason you have an obligation to hear it. I realize that I compose on a computer and not on stone with a chisel, so if you like what I have to say and it works for you, great.  If not, change channels.

Next question: Did you really work on all those movies you list on your website?  I did and everything I said about them is true. Trust me…

Another good one.  Do you need anything special to get you in the mood to write?  If you only knew…but I digress.  I usually write early in the morning dressed in my bathrobe, fuzzy pink slippers, my cat curled up on the keyboard, a cup of herbal tea in hand.  If that doesn’t work, lots of Gin and tonic’s do the trick late at night when “those people” come to call and I can’t sleep.

Oh, I see a hand from the audience.  “Did you really write a movie for Playboy?”  Actually, it was for Mystique Films, another company that Playboy owned, and yes it was one of “those” kinds of movies. It’s been on HBO, Showtime and other premium cable channels so it’s not that bad.  And I went to a Playboy party and even took my wife.

Back to the mailbag. You grew up in Georgia.  What was your childhood like?   I was ten years old before I knew a chicken wasn’t a long animal like a snake.  All I ever got was the neck.  I was so poor I couldn’t afford to go barefooted…I could go on, but that’s all the Rodney Dangerfield I remember at the moment.  I had a great childhood, if I can be serious for a moment.  My grandmother and my dad were great story tellers and if I learned anything about the art, it was from them.  I’m an only child, but I have some cousins I think of almost as brothers and sisters.

Here’s an interesting one. Why do you use some of the same names in books?  I have a hard time coming up with character names for one and second, there are several people I think enough of to name characters for them.  Some left us far too young, others are people I served with in the Army…you get the idea.

And last. I have a great idea for a book.  Can you write it and share the money with me? )(*^*(%*&^%)^&* and the equine upon which you arrived.

No comments:

Post a Comment

2019 Telly Award Winner

Feature films have the Oscar.  Television has the Emmy.   Films straight to DVD have the Telly. This is the 2019 People’s Choice Award ...